Money. How people approach their money is a complicated equation with many factors and influences. Is it possible to solve complex problems people have that relate to money? YES, IT IS. And that’s exactly what we’re doing right now at Capital One – by reinventing banking through conversational financial products. If you have experience and passion designing for machine learning and artificial intelligence – this might be your opportunity to join an amazing team creating products that reach millions every day.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Ideating and thinking critically about how users interact with conversational messaging and voice-enabled user interfaces. From design sprints to team exploration you’ll be brainstorming, sketching, and wire-framing your ideas and sharing them with others. You will completely and positively change customers’ expectations on what their bank can do for them.
- Researching and discovering user insights by talking to people in order to inform your product ideas. IOW, you’ll be learning about people and how they interact with money, and designing products to meet those needs. Design thinking isn’t just a buzz word for you, it means placing customers first, adapting, and iterating on your designs as you learn.
- Analyzing customer data, and watching market trends for conversational interfaces and Artificial Intelligence. We’re using data from our customers and potential customers to define the future of our messaging products, from Alexa to Cortana to bots and beyond. And you’ll use this data to inform how you design for those products. You pay attention to qualitative and quantitative data, and when necessary even bake in certain tests to learn more about the customer. Your hunches are probably right – but you don’t make design decisions in a black box.
- Co-creating content with some of the best product managers, content strategists, researchers, engineers, and other partners in the industry. Together, you’re designing an entire ecosystem of messaging products and conversational interfaces, so it’s super crucial you’re a collaborative, inclusive person who can comfortably transition between strategic planning to detailed execution–from discussing user interaction conceptually, to tactically making those interactions real.
- Designing more than just user interface layouts with visual polish. You’ll be creating user flows, customer journeys, and usable interactions with one purpose in mind: conversational interaction for both voice and screen. Tackling complex problems will be a regular activity, transforming them into intuitive, easy to understand, and user-centered experiences.
- Prototyping your ideas and product needs using whichever tool is most expedient. In browser or out, you’ll take care to provide highly accurate and technically feasible prototypes that will be used and shared regularly. A prototype is worth a thousand meetings, and yours will help expedite the design and product development cycle.
- Shipping is a more than just agile development processes, and you’ll be following a product from concept to completion and release to market. All your work is grounded in what we’ll deliver to our customers, but you’ll push product designs to the farthest reaches of their potential. As part of a sprint team you’ll meet daily to tackle user needs together, and provide creative solutions while balancing development best practices.
What You’ll Need. You constantly think about the future and what it holds for design and technology. Not a misty-eyed dreamer – but a passionate realist with an eye on the prize. You have an ambition to never stop learning, and constantly explore new technologies and design patterns. You understand that design is the details, it encompasses the whole product experience, and you see design potential in emerging technologies. The designer in you will be exceptionally proficient in tools such as Sketch and Illustrator, and okay, Photoshop, too. The prototyper in you will be well versed in writing HTML, CSS, or other tools such as Invision or Flinto. You are no stranger to the pencil and moleskine, but you may prefer a whiteboard marker or stylus. Either way, you like to mock up your ideas as you have them, and love to share with others for feedback. You are comfortable talking with people, and know how to gain insights through a combination of conversation and data. New tools? You probably already know about them and tried them, because as technology keeps changing – you keep changing.
Tl;dr. Fortune 500 design team seeking experienced designer with a passion for HCI and conversational design to work on artificial intelligence powered products that will reach millions.
Reply below – but not with a resume. Instead, start the conversation with us by answering this question:
“What is it about this job description that made you want to reply?”
And email it to Adrian.Herritt@capitalone.com