At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and CEO Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Visualization Engineer – Machine Learning focus
Data Visualization makes data tangible for our company and customers, thereby empowering us all by transforming what’s unknown into something that’s known. We enable these outcomes by digging into data sets, large and small, to manifest it in enlightening, understandable ways to fuel decision-making.We’re looking for engineers to help build this new practice within our Design organization. We partner with our Center for Machine Learning to find meaning and understanding in previously inaccessible areas. You can expect your work to be applied to the domains of cybersecurity, fraud, anti-money laundering, and explainable AI among others. These efforts are at the forefront of Capital One and drives our mission and strategy.
WHY WE CARE
- Because we’re aiming to Change Banking for Good, which means being brave enough to change how people interact with us AND their money, for the better
- Because we want to know things that’ll enable us to make strategic decisions with the greatest degree of confidence, driven by real-time data
- Because insights should be accessible to us, both as employees of Capital One, and as customers who are trying to make sense of their money
WHO ARE YOU? LIKELY SOMEONE WHO…
- Is deeply creative and driven by playfulness, wonder, and a thirst for understanding
- A problem solver with a knack for uncovering elegant solutions
- Asks questions to get at the deeper-level “why” because you prioritize relevance and meaning over the artifact or visualization itself
- Better understands a complex ML algorithm by visualizing it
- Is outcome-focused and has an exceptional track record to prove it
HERE’S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN THIS ROLE
As a Capital One Data Visualization Engineer, you may work on internal and customer facing tools, platforms, and libraries. Here’s what you’ll be doing:
You will sit with product owners and ML Engineers to discuss their problem space. Rather than take orders on what to build, you’ll engage users in conversations to uncover how they do their work, what tools they use, how they understand their work, and how they currently solve their problems. You will work to explore pain points and areas for meaningful improvement.
You’ll spend the majority of your time finding the shape of data. This entails immersing yourself in and exploring the data. You’ll rabidly pull apart and tease out the nuance of the data to understand the breadth, depth, extents, outliers, relationships, and other factors that reveal its structure as a whole. Your sketchbook is your constant companion. It picks up where your tools fail you.
You’ll bring solid experience in technologies such as: D3.js, WebGL, Processing, Three.js, Unity, and Python to name a few. Using these technologies and others, you’ll construct meaningful, interactive, responsive, frictionless, and succinct visualizations for a variety of subject matters and domains.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- At least 3 years of experience engineering data visualizations and interactive experiences
- At least 3 years experience building data visualizations using D3, WebGL, Processing, Three.js, or Unity
- Conversational knowledge of ML, AI, and NLP methodologies and related Python libraries
- At least 1 year experience working on a cross-functional team
- Master’s degree in Data Visualization, Computer Science, or related field
- At least 1 year of full-stack web development experience using React, Node, AWS, and SQL
- Experience with Kafka or Spark
- Experience engineering NLP, AI, and ML models in Python
Let’s talk – everything you’ve just read is intended to be a jumping-off point for our conversation. So if you’re intrigued and would like to learn more, please email firstname.lastname@example.org about what’s particularly interesting to you about this opportunity.